Monday, February 07, 2005

Existential Plane Ride

"The world would be diminished without each of us." -Mary Ann

I had an existential plane ride. One of those moments when you feel you are in the right place at the right time. The strangers around you become acquaintances and then friends and then you feel that you were all meant to be in that place at that time.

On that ride, from New York City to Portland, Maine I met Mary Ann. A theology professor from Erie, Pennsylvania, Mary Ann helped me feel that I was on the right path. She complemented my art and helped rekindle a fire in my soul and in my belly.

That fire had been raked over by an overwhelming and emotional trip to the national conference of the Society of Children's Book Writers and illustrators. The conference was a paradox of support and tough love for the illustrators. I was pleased to meet Celia Yung, Tomie De Paola, Robert Sabuda, Priscilla Burris of the national board. However, their honesty about the field and their insistance that the conference was not a place to learn the craft (that, they said must happen through schools who teach art classes.) was sometimes frustrating.

Many of the speakers were funny, and poignant: Gail Carson Levine, Jerry Spinelli, Esme' Rah Cordell (check out Planet Esme'), Susan Jeffers, and Janie Bynum were my favorites.

So what now? Keep stoking the fires. I plan to focus on classes in painting and drawing to refine my skills and improve my use of acryllics. Read! On my list: Uri Shulevitz's Writing With Pictures and Word Painting by Revecca McClanahan. Write. Every day. And maybe this blog will help. Draw! Every day. I do solemnly swear to have my sketch pad in the car so I can sketch while I wait for children in their various activities. Believe! I will take their warnings and admonitions as a challenge.

Burn baby, burn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home