Thursday, February 10, 2005

Figure Drawing

Despite the forecast from the prophets for snow, I drove 30 minutes to Bowdoinham last night. My destination was a figure drawing opportunity. There is a group of artist who have been meeting in the upstairs studio of a large barn for almost a decade. I happened upon the group on the website of one of the artists. The price is right (the price of the model) and the company is light, and liberal, but focused.

I noticed the barn because of the cars parked in front. After following country roads and getting a little turned around, I was glad to be in the right place. I immediately felt confused again when I entered the barn. I heard voices but tried a bunch of spaces in the barn until I found the upstairs studio. The sliding door opened followed by a blast of hot air. The wood stove was stoked to keep the model comfortable. I was late but settled in and started sketching.

We sketched a series of one minute gestures followed by five, ten, fifteen and finally a half-hour poses. I realized that a new newsprint sketch pad was in order as I flipped through page after page that I will probably end up recycling. It was great to rediscover big paper after being confined to drawings that fit a scanner. After the first few gestures, I felt my line loosen up. I worked with Conte’, pencil and charcoal and came away with a few drawings that showed a decent grasp of proportion, and movement. Next time, I think I’ll focus on a few quick portraits to build my confidence in that area too.

The snow started after midnight this morning and it has been snowing ever since. The prophets say it will continue through tomorrow. It is heavy and will probably leave downed lines and trees in its wake. For now though, it is truly a winter wonderland.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home