Sunday, May 07, 2006

NESCBWI Conference thoughts part 1

It has been a week since I returned from the New England Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators' spring conference. It has taken me the week to process and mull all the wonderful things that I've learned and felt. First of all the conference was amazingingly planned and executed. Congratulations to the team of volunteers that make this conference work each year. Second, if you live in the New England area and you write and/or illustrate for children, you should attend the conference at least once.

This is my fifth year and each year I am amazed at how much I come away with. At this point, I feel as though I know quite a bit about the industry and the craft of writing (Then why aren't you published, Anna? Hush, that's another post.) So, it is not that I learn so much more each time. Instead, I am shown things I know in a different way. It's as if I held up a mirror and instead of seeing my own reflection, I catch a glimpse of something in the background. Something that is always in the background, but in the mirror it is framed in a way that catches my attention. Sometimes, that way is enough to spark a whole new line of thinking about my work in progress. Each day this week, I hope to relate something from the conference that has informed my work and passion.

Jennifer Richard Jacobson had an interesting presentation with Kara LeReau (For many years with Candlewick, now with Scholastic)about the evolution of Andy Shane and the Very Bossy Dolores Starbuckle. This book had its beginnings as a picture book and, through Kara's guidance, Jennifer turned it into an early chapter book series in order to more explore the characters. I have a picture book that I have been wrestling through about seven different drafts, never feeling that I could shove the character or his story into the limit of 32 pages. And, that the subject needed to explored further. This week, I have been trying the story as an early chapter book and I am thrilled with the results. Jacob Daniel (my main character) is finally getting the room to speak and to listen to others, to grow and to change. Isn't that what we all want of our main characters? Tomorrow, illustration. Portfolio showcases, critiques and the amazing and incredible Timothy Basil Ering. (my new idle and mentor)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home