Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Skate park

There seems to be bits of blue in the cloud covered sky today. I know this is not supposed to be a political blog, but I'm just recovering from the Memorial Day parade. It was very emotional for me. When the peace activists marched by in black with the totals of dead soldiers from Iraq I cried wondering how many will die still. And yet, the military machine is so economically tied to me in my family and in this town that I am conflicted and would not march myself. Why not?

I went to the skate park with my children yesterday. They love the idea of it but they are really too young for skate parks. Luckily, for other skaters, there was no one there. I tried to convince them that the walking path would give us more exercise but they prefer to ride back and forth inside that fence like tigers in the zoo.

My toddler, in his footie pajamas, red rain boots, and blue flowery helmet, went scootering around the pavement. My six year old, who just got a cool, new helmet rode up and down ramps and even tried the half pipe. Up a little, turn, down a little. Up a little, turn, down a little. I was pretty impressed that he could control the bike as he only just gave up his training wheels at the end of last summer. I guess it is true that you don't forget how to ride a bike. I scootered around a little too until some older boys showed up. Then I pulled out my sketch book and did a series of quick gesture drawings as they 180ed and skidded and jumped.

1 Comments:

Blogger Donna Farrell said...

Hi Anna,
I would love to see the sketches you did at the skate park. I enjoy reading your posts, you have a wonderful use of language, they are rich with visual details. I had a great time in NH,
Donna

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home