Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Bread

One of the New Year's resolutions I have made is to bake our own bread. Part of the decision is about health, some economic, and some selfish. I love making bread. The magic of yeast, an organism that feeds on the warmth and sweetness of honey or sugar to grow my loaf. The warm flour mixes with the yeast liquid under my fingers. Sticky dough becomes elastic as I rhythmically push and turn the dough. Kneading-- what a release and great upper arms too (forget pushups). So I made a nice wheat loaf the other day and this morning I made a white dough that I will use for rolls and sandwich bread. I figure that even if it is white flour, my loaves will be healthier than the loaves at the store with preservatives.

I remember a children's book from when I was in elementary school about a children who assume their neighbors who live in a haunted house are witches. The kids hear the witches chanting or singing something that makes the kids think they are pounding on someone and cooking them, but they are really kneading dough and baking bread. The end had a recipe for bread. Does anyone else remember this or know the title?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home