Wednesday, February 23, 2005

School Vacation

"As I look back on what I have written, I can see that the very persons who have taken away my time are those who have given me something to say," says Katherine Patterson. And so during this week long winter vacation that my children have from school, I struggle as an artist/mom.


I want to live in the moment without worrying about the deadlines on my bulletin board. I want to truly enjoy my children when they are young, because as everyone with older kids will tell you, "It goes by so fast." And yet, I long for alone time, studio time, extended time not punctuated by the physical and emotional demands of young children.

On the other hand, they have indeed given me something to say. They teach me about imagination, and about the flexibility of timeless literary heroes--King Arthur, Robin Hood, Paul Bunyan. One young cowboy in a recent game, untied me (the forlorn maiden) from the tracks, rescued me from the oncomming train, and then took me to visit Santa Claus with Dora and Boots. You just don't get that kind of twist plot from older kids.

In fact, since I have made writing and illustrating my work, they are consumed with story . "That would make a great story," they both chime in when they over hear something interesting, banter words around, or stumble onto a funny thought. Last week, my older son commented that the sun streaming through the honey on his toast made "golden webs of honey." Who is the author? We all are. We all have a story tell, an image to share, a lesson learned. Not only have my children "given me something to say," they are my throughline, my lifeline, my plotline.

(But I'd still like a babysitter so I can meet my deadlines.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home