Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Expect spam

I received a rejection today from Cricket group for a preschool activity and an older mystery. It was a very kind and personal rejection which is great I suppose. They enjoyed reading it but it's just not right for them at this time. This year, I seem to have graduated from forms to personal rejections. This is a true step up. Still, it is difficult to receive rejections one after the other. I need to somehow get out of the rejection cycle. I send in a bunch of writing, it sits with the publishers for three months then they all reject me at the same time.

My friend from college always said, "Expect spam and if you get steak, you'll be happy." The problem is I really believe in the pieces I'm sending out. By the time they've gotten to the envelope, I've revised them three or four times and brought them to my critique group at least once. I think they are good. I start to believe in myself. I start to expect steak. Then I wait. I check the mail each day hoping the SASE never boomerangs back my way. My own handwriting jumps out at me and burns into my heart. Another rejection. Turn it around send it in again. The next bunch goes out this week, so the next rejection cycle should start mid-August.

A picture book is still under consideration with Charlesbridge right now. I'm expecting spam any day now. But still hoping for steak.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home