Friday, September 15, 2006

Poster contest sob story

Okay. So if any of you have elementary aged children you know that it has been a busy week. Getting kids to bed on time, up on time, to the bus on time. We were busy getting used to school, the bus, and a host of extracurricular activities that all started this week. If I had a piece of chocolate for every time I told a kid to put on their shoes, I'd be fat. So it is no wonder that 1) My husband has been away for two weeks and I've been doing this all on my own. 2) The deadline for the National Cherry Blossom Festival poster contest is tomorrow.

I entered the contest last year and didn't win, but was able to see all the entries in an exhibit this past March. I was also able to talk to the judges and get a little insight into the process. I knew I wanted to enter it again, and have been sketching and gathering references and supplies. I created a block print using high density sign foam and a dremmel tool. This made the carving very easy although a little messy. I probably should have worn a mask as the dust goes everywhere. I carved at the beginning of the week, inked in the middle and finally did the coloring yesterday.

I ran to the UPS store and had them ship it overnight to make the 5pm, September 15th deadline, which cost me....Drum roll please......
$100 smackeroos!

I paid. Crazy, maybe, especially because we are in the midst of some serious money issues, but what else could I do. I wasn't going to let all that work go to waste. Anyway, it is a business expense that will show up on the 2006 taxes. The thing that gets me is that it is a digital file that I easily could have emailed them but that was against the guidelines.

Wish me luck.

1 Comments:

Blogger Donna Farrell said...

Congrats on making the deadline!
Hey, did you get the email about the fall folio from me?

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home