Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Poster contest

I know I keep mentioning this Cherry Blossom Poster Contest but I haven't really said anything about the work I'm doing. (I would scan it in but it is too big and I'd have to stitch it together in Photoshop.) The background is a wash of sky blue to white to pale pink. I have cut delicate black and pink cherry blossoms from paper and they are floating on this background from upper left to lower right, some float off of the page. The bottom right hand quadrant is dominated by a black paper cut out image of the stone peace lantern that is lit for the festival. That is it.

I can not explain how I have pained over the placement of these darn flowers. Every day (it seems) I call my wonderful husband in and ask him what he thinks. He is pretty good about telling me honestly and I'm okay at thinking about what he says. However, after a three in the morning session with this thing yesterday, I pulled him into my studio and he started critiqueing. I about bit his nose off. I guess that when I really don't want to hear what anyone else says I'm ready to call it mine. I realized then that I was done.

Proud of my new realization I glued on all the pieces. Not so easy. The flowers are so lacey that they easily bend and buckle. There are a few dots of glue that I can't get off the background. Then I went to trim the edges and my square slipped. The error was fixable but I was so angry that after all my work I would do something so amateurish. I think I will put some foam tape on the back of my square so it won't slip.

At this point I just want to send the thing in. I do not think I'll win but it was a good experience. My parents are visiting this weekend and I'll show it to them before I package it up. I guess I'll have to listen to their critique. (smile)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home