Monday, March 20, 2006

DC Trip

I just returned from a weekend in DC. I went to see the exhibit of all the entries to the National Cherry Blossom Festival Poster contest of which I was a participant. The exhibit was very educational as it one doesn't usually get a chance to see the competition in these types of contests. Some entries were very professional others were amateurish. Those that were most competant or professional didn't especially win if they didn't ground the festival in DC and have some readable depiction of the blossoms. Also, one of the judges mentioned to me that it was important to the committee that nothing be depicted that might upset the Japanese community. Therefore, any stereotypical Japanese symbol should be removed. Very informative.

My poster, which looked great in my studio, looked very sparse next to the rest of the entries. I noticed immediately that my image didn't include any DC monuments or symbols. It's okay though, I've already started on sketching for next year.

On another note all together, here are Sam (dog) and Ivan (cat) in my studio.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was great to see you this weekend! Thanks for letting us join you at the exhibit on Saturday. Can't wait to see next year's entry.

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home